Ready to apply for KanCare?
You may apply for KanCare online (electronically) or submit a paper application. You may also request help with the application. Talk with our Outreach Coordinator at 833-309-0121 with any questions and when you are ready to submit your KanCare application.
- Apply for KanCare by paper: click here to download this pdf version of the application
- Apply for KanCare online: click here to access the online application (link opens in new window)
- Request help with the KanCare application: click here to complete the Facilitator Authorization Form for assistance
When you apply for KanCare, you may need to provide the following:
- Proof of Income. This will include a copy of pay stubs for the last 30 days or a statement from your employer with your gross income before deductions.
- Most recent personal federal and/or state tax returns. If you are self-employed, you must include tax return for your business. Make sure to include all pages and attachments for your tax return.
- Other income. copy of any check or benefit letter, such as child support payments, disability or retirement benefits, that show any income and how often you receive it.
- Unpaid medical bills. the last three (3) months of medical bills that you may need help in making payments.
- Proof of health insurance. If someone in the household has medical insurance, a copy of the front & back of their medical card may be needed.
You can attach these documents to your KanCare application or submit the documents electronically. Contact us to make sure you have completed the application form correctly and you have all the documents necessary BEFORE you submit it to KanCare.
What happens next?
When KanCare receives your complete information, the state of Kansas will review your application within the following time period:
- If you are pregnant at the time you apply for KanCare: processing will take 10 days to 2 weeks
- If your application for KanCare makes note of a disability: processing will take up to 90 days
- For all other applications: processing will take up to 45 days
During the waiting period, if you need immediate medical attention, contact our Outreach Coordinator at 833-309-0121 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org for help.
You will receive a letter letting you know whether your application for KanCare has been approved or denied. In the case of a denial, you’ll have the option to appeal the decision.
Contact our Outreach Coordinator at 833-309-0121 for help with the letter you receive. If you are denied services our Outreach Coordinator can help you file an appeal. If you are not approved for KanCare, your information may be sent to the Federal Health Insurance Marketplace.